Wednesday, October 24, 2007

What's in a name?

A name calls forth a particular vibration or sound. In the beginning was the word, the first breath of the universe breathing life into existence. Our names embody our existence. They breathe life into us.

For years I have been intrigued by a place near the ocean that breathes in part of my essence, part of who I am, because of its name. Mystic. What’s in this name?

Yesterday, I was mostly directionless and surrendered fully to each moment. I stopped at a motel that just didn’t feel right, so I left and kept driving. And driving. Until I ended up at my sister’s house downstate, as New Yorkers call it. I am so close to Connecticut, I thought. So, I decided to visit that place by the ocean with the intriguing name.

Here I am, in Mystic, Connecticut, the mystic in Mystic. As soon as I arrived, I drove to the seaport to smell the salty sea air. It has been over 15 years since I lived about a mile from the Atlantic Ocean. It felt good. It felt sacred. I wanted to hug the water. I felt so connected to it that I wanted to jump in and feel it surround me. “I can’t swim,” I thought. It didn’t matter. The water felt like my mother and I just wanted to be in her arms. I knew I would be safe. I imagined myself in the water, gently held in her arms, being rocked back and forth, following the flow of each wave. It was then I realized how much I missed the water, having lived in the high desert the past three years.

Atop the Mystic River drawbridge, I said the words that Dr. Emoto uses to raise the vibration of water. “Water I thank you. Water I respect you. Water I love you.” I thought about how precious water is and about the people of Atlanta who are facing a water shortage. My heart filled with emotion.

Water is symbolic of emotion. How interesting that the man who has now devoted his life to water is named Emoto. What’s in a name? Emotions are flowing on the east coast as many states are experiencing historic drought conditions and on the west coast as many lose homes and businesses to devastating fires. Fire and water. Earth and air. We have forgotten the elementals, our fundamental building blocks. We have forgotten that we are first spiritual beings, then physical beings. We have forgotten that we are all mystics - that everything is part of us, part of Source. We are part of the water, fire, earth, and air.

As I tour the area, I notice there are very few places that are overtly “mystical;” a tarot reader here, a mystical hometown author there. Interestingly, I feel my mysticism even more. I am in my joy and live as if I have all the time and money in the world. For in the words of an inspirational speaker I heard years ago, “If you believe it, be “live” it. We are all called to live the life of a mystic while still taking care of the kids, going to board meetings, and working two jobs. If we send the message to the universe that we will only accept our grandest and greatest vision of ourselves and our lives, that is exactly what the universe sends back to us in reply.

What’s in a name? Everything.

If you would like to fully become the mystic that you are, enroll in my school of self-mastery called Coeuressence by going to my website, http://joancerio.com and click on the Events & Classes page. Save over $100 by enrolling by November 30!


Joan Cerio - Keeper of the Keys to a Masterful Life.
Life Lines - Publishing high vibrational words that serve as "lifelines" for self-transformation.

No comments: